Concealed by a variety of mature trees, this country residence has been owned by the same family for 200 years and it is totally unique due to its double depth cellars, one on top of the other. These extraordinary cellars were the heart of the malting process; now they lie waiting for the next exciting chapter in their lives. The house has greatly altered during its lifetime and it was the current Kearsey family who created what is now a super and much-loved family home. An impressive reception hall is a welcoming first impression; it houses the main splendid staircase. From this central point accesses lead off to the principal reception rooms, study with a magnificent view of the common and onto to the kitchen/breakfast room. The dining room has a door opening out onto the rear courtyard and entry to the 23’4” drawing room where the central focal feature is the limestone fireplace housing a wood burner. Double doors open into a sunroom with views across the grounds. At the other end of the residence lies the Kitchen/breakfast room with fitted units incorporating built in appliances, oven, fridge and dishwasher. From the inner lobby the second staircase, cloakroom and door to the courtyard can be found. Steps down from the kitchen/breakfast lead into the utility with access to outside and entry down to the cellars. Stone steps lead down to the upper cellar which has a partition splitting the room into two with further steps down into the 44ft lower cellar. Both have two window light wells. On the first floor there is a galleried landing, main bedroom with ensuite bathroom, three further bedrooms, one with independent access into the family bathroom, inner landing with cloakroom and stairs to the top floor. On this level there is a bedroom with access to 31ft unconverted attic.
Agents note: Where Windmill Place and Windmill House connect there is a small flying freehold. This house has vehicular access across a neighbour’s field via a five bar gate.
The level and extensive grounds are dominated by glorious Cotswold stone boundary walls. The drive is beautifully denoted by period iron gates, both vehicular and pedestrian. A muchneeded cattle grid is the start of a sweeping drive that meanders around the house to the parking area and double garage. Either side of the entrance are gardens; a small enclosed one to the right and a large one to the left. This section and the orchard/paddock area are divided by a Cotswold stone wall. A raised lawn houses a summerhouse. A kitchen garden is also enclosed by Cotswold stone walls as well as a paved sun terrace. The rear courtyard opens up to the vast grounds. Throughout there is a wide variety of magnificent aged and immature trees.
- Private Drive
- Double Garage
- Potting Shed
- Green House
- Kitchen Garden
- Total plot measures 1.2 acres
- Impressive Reception Hall
- Drawing Room
- Sun Room
- Dining Room
- Kitchen/Breakfast Room
- Two Large Cellars
- Main Bedroom with Ensuite
- Guest Bedroom with access to Family Bathroom
- Three further Bedrooms
- 31ft Unconverted Attic
Minchinhampton is a quintessential Cotswold market town lying high above the valleys of Stroud and Nailsworth. It enjoys a plethora of facilities including The Crown Inn & The Lodge public houses, cafes, a general store, butcher, chemist and Post Office, as well as Minchinhampton Church of England Primary Academy and both a doctor and dental surgeries. Minchinhampton and neighbouring Rodborough are famed for its magnificent 600 acres of Natural Trust maintained open Common land where one of three local golf courses can be found. London remains accessible by train from nearby Stroud railway station. Schooling is a huge attraction to the area as it includes Stroud High School for girls and Marling Grammar School for boys both based in Stroud. Independent schools in the area are Beaudesert Park School & Wycliffe College. The neighbouring town of Nailsworth is renowned for its excellent boutique shops & eateries whilst Stroud offers four supermarkets including Waitrose, as well as an award-winning Farmers Market.
Around 1800 a working windmill, known as ‘Hampton Windmill’, was located in the close proximity to what is now known as Windmill Place. The original building at Windmill Place was built prior to 1799 and would have been a two-up and two-down cottage for the servants with attached working malthouse and stables. John Kearsey owned the whole site in 1812 and constructed a house for himself called Windmill House which is connected to Windmill Place in one corner. Sadly, the windmill was demolished in the early 1870’s however it lives on as The Lodge is believed to have been built from the stone.
Tenure: Flying Freehold.
Postcode: GL6 9EE.
Viewing: Strictly by appointment through Whitaker Seager.
Fixtures and Fittings: Some mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale. All others are specifically excluded but may be made available by separate negotiation.
Local Authorities: Stroud District Council. Council Tax Band F and EPC rating E.
Please note: in rural locations the map may not be 100% accurate
Arrange a viewing
To arrange a viewing of this property please give us a call or send us an email.
Alternatively send us your details using the form below and we'll be in touch to arrange a viewing.